Saturday, August 9, 2008
thoughts about work ;1:16 AM
It was such a relief to end work today.
5 days of tiring work as a packer for Triumph (ya.. it is what you think it is) in the stuffy warehouse. Touching goods that are filled with dust. After the first day at work, I told myself that I would never ever accept such an assignment despite how tempting the pay may sound. I consoled myself with the fact that I was only going to be there for 5 days. I t then occurred to me that it isn't only 5 days for the aunties there.
You know what is so bad about the job?
1). The work is superrr boring! Imagine doing the same thing over and over again without having to use your brain at all Just your eyes and hands. l. (this reminds me of what ah pek said years ago. not to take up such jobs because you end up being no different from a machine. yeah. it's true. lolx) Your eyes get tired. And how many Aunties have I seen squinting their eyes over small price tags. I check the clock every now and then during work only to get disappointed each time that only 15 mins or so has passed when I thought it was more. Ok.. The work isn't challenging and brain stimulating enough. On the other hand, if the work is too challenging, I get worried. Ironic is it. lolx
2). Maybe I shouldn't be commenting so much on how the place operates because I do not know the place well enough. But a few of the temp staff and I have formed our own impressions about the way things are operated. I shall not elaborate too much already. lolx
3). Sometimes I do wonder if not being educated and not being local means having to endure the rush, scoldings etc...
But all in all, not everything is bad about the job. There is this female supervisor that is really really kind and I mean really really kind. For one, she takes the effort to find out what is wrong before putting blame on someone and scold them. Ok.. I think she may blame but I have not heard her scold anyone before. The impression I got of the place is like a food chain. The tiger eats the cat, the cat in turn eats the mice and the mice in turn eats the ants. We vent and rant at people that are below us at work. But come to think of it again. Isn't it the same everywhere? The good thing about being a temp staff is that should you get scolded you get scolded as a team. There is strength in numbers. This is true.hahax But fortunately we didn't get scolded throughout our short stay there. phew~ But I guess things were much easier on me than on the Aunties because the worst that could happen is that I get fired. And it's not as if I have a family to feed. I guess this made work nearly pressure free. But it doesn't mean that I did my work sloppily ar! lolx
I am even more determined to get a people oriented job in future. Thinking back to the times in IRAS, even though we often get scolded, but the job was fun when you know what you're doing. I want to be a social worker, then move on to working in a hotel or the tourism industry,then move on to be a wedding planner and then go back to being a social worker and probably open a shop or something for retirement. Sounds a bit messy but at least it's a plan. lolx
off to bed~ hope i get up in time for jogging tomorrow. nitex!
i love sushi!